Sunday, August 29, 2010

'Small talk'

Whilst other parents in the room were asking me 'How university is going?' one father was telling me about his bowel movements. So much for small talk?

He has suffered with cancer for many years now. Many types of cancer. I don't know the specifics but I do know he had intestinal cancer and only has 20% of his GIT remaining. He's casually chit chatting about his B12 injections, supplement regime and how he has to be aware that any complacency can lead to becoming severely malnourished.

I'm on my third glass of sangria by this point. So when he mentions 'Ileum' I mentally high five myself for recognising a word. But by the time he reaches Jujenum, I'm shaking my head with confusion. I realise this as I'm now inserting 'Mmmm' where words existed just minutes before.

Whilst nodding over-enthusiastically I realise two things....

1. I probably should have stopped at one glass of Sangria.
2. I have a lot to learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment